Dragonlance: Otik’s Spiced Potatoes
4 medium-large potatoes
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped (or 1 teaspoon garlic powder)
1/2 medium onion, chopped (or 1 teaspoon onion powder)
1 stick of butter
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2-1 teaspoon black pepper
salt to taste (I used roughly 1/2-1 teaspoon)
1. Scrub your potatoes clean and remove any eyes.
2. Cut the potatoes into 1/2 inch chunks, leaving the skins on.
3. Microwave the potatoes until they begin to soften (roughly 7 minutes).
4. While the potatoes are in the microwave, melt your stick of butter in a pan (an iron skillet works best) until it sizzles.
5. Stir in your spices* then add the garlic and onions. Cook (on medium heat) until they just begin to turn translucent.
6. Stir in your potatoes to coat them in the butter and spices. Cook until they are nice and crispy, stirring every few minutes and adjusting the heat as necessary (add more butter and/or turn the heat up to medium-high if necessary).*If your palette doesn’t agree with spiciness, I would suggest halving the paprika and cayenne pepper (or eliminating both all together).
For a traditional meal, serve up with a chunk of cheese and bread along with a tankard of ale. For modern times, my potatoes ate well when paired with a steak and veggies.
Any Dragonlance or potato fans here? Let me know your thoughts in the comment below!