Asuna’s Sandwich from Sword Art Online
While I’m not completely caught up with every season of Sword Art Online, I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the ones that I have seen. If I ever got stuck in a video game, I think I could see myself modelling after Asuna and working not only on fighting skills, but others such as cooking as well.
Thankfully I’m not stuck in a digital world, but that doesn’t mean I can’t enjoy some great food. I decided to try my hand at recreating Asuna’s sandwich from season 1, episode 6 in which she surprises Kirito with her cooking abilities. This turned into a simple and quick dinner.
- steak (I used sandwich steak but feel free to use what you like such as tri-tip)
- lettace or spinach
- edible flowers (optional)
- dressing (optional, based on preference -spicy mayo, ketchup, sriracha, etc. -I’d recommend trying the steak first before adding any additional sauces)
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar (can be substituted with 4 tablespoons cider vinegar and 2 teaspoons sugar)
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard (can substitute with yellow mustard)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
1. Mix together the steak marinade ingredients in a leak-proof bag. Add the steak and marinate at least 4 hours. I let me mine sit overnight.
2. After marinating cook the steak to your preference. My husband, Ron, grilled ours for about 5 minutes. You can see him sporting his Legend of Zelda apron below. 🙂
3. Whip up 2 eggs with a splash of milk, then pan fry them.
4. Shred your lettuce or spinach, if necessary, and slice up your baguette.
5. Layer everything together and enjoy. Hurry though, before it’s durability runs out and it vanishes! 😉
Going into the recipe, I was unsure how I felt about the egg. After eating my recreation though, I actually really enjoyed the addition of the egg.
I did not include any berries on my sandwich. I’m not sure which berries they are supposed to be, although I would gander a guess at cranberries. I don’t think I would put straight cranberries or Craisins on the sandwich, but I do believe a nice cranberry sauce (perhaps a cranberry mayo) would be a very tasty addition.
Want to see other fandom inspired meals come to life? Let me know in the comments below!