Harry Potter Pumpkin Pasties
With Halloween just having passed, and Thanksgiving right around the corner, it’s the perfect time to bake up some pumpkin treats! Today I will be sharing with you guys how to create Harry Potter pumpkin pasties. These sweet little treats are essentially mini, personal pumpkin pies and are the perfect way to get nerdy this fall and holiday season!
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups fresh pumpkin or 15 oz. canned pumpkin (buy 100% pure pumpkin, not a can of pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 (12 oz.) can evaporated milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- (Option) Replace the cloves and allspice with equal parts apple pie spice
- 18 oz. pie crust pastry (enough for four single standard pie crusts). Make your own or buy.
- Add the eggs and sugar to a bowl and mix until well blended.
- Add the remaining ingredients, except for the evaporated milk and crust. Mix thoroughly.
- Stir in the evaporated milk.
- Bake the filling in a greased casserole dish for 15 minutes at 425 degrees. Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees and continue baking until a fork inserted into the center comes out clean (roughly 40 minutes).
- Remove the filling from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- Cut out circle disks of pie crust dough that are roughly 4-5 inches in diameter (I used a cup to cut them out).
- Place a spoonful of filling to the side of each disk’s center and fold the dough over into a half circle. Firmly crimp the edges shut (a fork may be helpful here).
- Cut 3 venting slits in each pastie.
- Repeat the above steps, re-rolling out the dough as necessary. The full recipe will yield roughly 24 pasties.
- Brush the pasties in an egg wash (mixture of egg and water or milk) to help them brown nicely.
- (Optional) Sprinkle cinnamon and sugar on the pasties before baking.
- Bake at 400 degrees until the crust begins to turn light brown; about 10 minutes.
- (Optional) Once the pasties are done baking, and have cooled a little, you can drizzle a glaze on top for added sweetness:
- 1/2 cup powder sugar
- 1 TB whole milk
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ginger
- 1/8 tsp cloves
What other nerdy foods would you like to learn how to make? Drop me a comment below!