Supernatural Chevy Impala License Plate Key Holder Craft Tutorial
My loving fiance has a bad habit of leaving his keys all around the house. To help save him some time and key-hunting grief I decided to make him his very own custom Supernatural key holder. I wasn’t sure if it’d break his habit, but much to my pleasant surprise, he’s been using the key hooks with regularity!
I actually made the key rack as a Valentine’s Day gift for him and he was happily surprised at the Supernatural theme, since after all, that is one of his favorite shows. The craft project was quite simple to make too.
How to Make a Supernatural Themed Key Holder
1. Collect your materials. For this project, you’ll want to gather the follow items:
- A replica license plate of the Supernatural Chevy Impala.
- A wooden plaque or mounting surface.
- Paint -I used black acrylic paint. You can also purchase a clear spray paint sealant for a final touch.
- Sawtooth wall hanging brackets (mine came with nails -plus you’ll also need a hammer to attach them)
- Hooks -I used screw in hooks (a measuring tape may be useful for spacing out on your hanger)
- Permanent glue (E6000) or screws & washers
2. Paint your wooden plaque. My plaque was already smooth and ready for paint. Sanding may be necessary if yours isn’t. I used 2 coats of paint, letting the 1st coat dry before applying the second. If you’re worried the paint will get scratched easily, seal your project with a protective layer of clear spray paint.
3. I hammered 2 wall hanging brackets into the back of my plaque to ensure it’d hang securely in place.
4. Next I added 4 hooks to my key rack. I measured them evenly out and hand screwed them into the wood.
5. Finally, I attached the license plate using permanent E6000 glue. Using screws & washers with the already present holes on the license plate would also work to secure it.
This final hanger could also easily be turned into a necklace or keychain holder too.What we love best about the key holder is that we can display our love for Supernatural in the house without being too demonic in nature…face it, most of the symbols and concepts in Supernatural are a little “dark” in appearance.What do you think Supernatural fans? Would you hang this in your house? Do you have similar key-misplacing habits like my fiance? Make yourself a fun key holder and they might just disappear!
Like this geeky craft project and don’t want to miss out on more in the future? Sign up for my newsletter to receive updates right to your inbox!